Neil Hopcroft

A digital misfit

Build break in octave – build 307

Following some recent changes to the Octave build process to eliminate recursive use of make my CI build has started failing with this error:

CXX libgui/src/libgui_src_libgui_src_la-moc-dialog.lo
libgui/src/ fatal error: src/dialog.h: No such file or directory
#include “src/dialog.h”
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [libgui/src/libgui_src_libgui_src_la-moc-dialog.lo] Error 1

Which appears to be a problem with directories during qt pre-processing, but I don’t know what I can do about it. Revisiting the octave project configuration I have disabled the documentation – I have re-enabled that in the hope that there is a hidden dependency causing my build error.
With the documentation enabled I now get this error:

CXX libgui/qterminal/libqterminal/libgui_qterminal_libqterminal_la-moc-QTerminal.lo
libgui/qterminal/libqterminal/ fatal error: qterminal/libqterminal/QTerminal.h: No such file or directory
#include “qterminal/libqterminal/QTerminal.h”
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [libgui/qterminal/libqterminal/libgui_qterminal_libqterminal_la-moc-QTerminal.lo] Error 1

So there is now a dependency upon qterminal, which in turn has a dependency upon qtermwidget.
Although the above doesn’t contain the missing header. It turns out that there is another qterminal, from google code, which does contain the missing QTerminal.h file.
This qterminal doesn’t publish the header files to the /usr/… tree, so I have added creation of a symbolic link to the qterminal project.
Except that isn’t actually what the problem is! A bit of looking at the file system shows there is actually a qterminal contained within octave/libgui and that is the one it is expecting to use, and the problem is that the change to non-recursive make has broken that because the include directories are now relative to a different place. Adding CXXFLAGS=-Ilibgui to the environment before calling ./configure fixes this.
But it appears that the documentation is still broken for me – this might be a similar relative directories change – I had been copying groff.enc to doc/interpreter but now it cannot find it while building things in doc/interpreter. Copying it to the project root instead fixes this.
This fix also fixes the build break in octave-packages, which was caused by the missing octave program output from this build.
Build fixed in 378.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.